Applications are open to all West Australian students who:
- are studying in French in years 10, 11 or 12 in the year that they wish to travel and envisage continuing their French studies into the future
- are endorsed by their schools
- are mature enough to handle the experience and prepared to live in another family as a family member
- are good all round ambassadors for Western Australia and the WA school system
- are prepared to host a student from La Réunion for four weeks during the Australian summer holidays, either prior to traveling or in the subsequent December/January holidays
Application forms are considered by a selection panel and where possible, priority is given to year 12, 11 and country students. Preference may also be given to students that can host prior to traveling. The panel will not consider incomplete or illegible applications.
Following the selection process all applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application, by late September. It should be noted that due to the growing popularity of the WA/La Réunion Student Exchange (Inc), the number of eligible applicants often greatly outnumbers the number of places that we can offer. Successful applicants will need to accept their offer of a place to travel to La Réunion by paying a second instalment ($800, early October). At times, second round offers are made to students who were not successful in the first instance and therefore we encourage everyone interested in applying.
Each year, about 60 students are selected to travel. They are assigned one of 3 or 4 contact teachers who accompany students to La Réunion and support them in settling into their respective host families, their learning and in making the most out of their unique experience.